Phone: (415) 338-1776
Location: Humanities Building Room 231
Mon: 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm by appointment
Wed: 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm by appointment
I teach mostly general modern history of the Middle East and North Africa, history of Iran and Afghanistan, and the role of imperialism in the region. I also teach graduate and –pro-seminar courses on the history of the Middle East. Teaching lower division modern world history is also part of my teaching responsibility.
- 1993 Ph.D., University of Californian at Los Angeles; History of the Near East 1500-Present, special concentration: Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Iran.
- 1986 M.A., San Francisco State University; History of Modern Europe
- 1982 B.A., Saint Mary's College of California, History-Government
COURSES RECENTLY TAUGHT
- History 644: Pro-Seminar: Topics in the History of the Middle East and Islamic Movements
- History 604: Islamic World I 500-1700
- History 605: Islamic World II 1700-Present
- History 606: Iran and Afghanistan 1500-present History
- 607: Imperialism and Nationalism in the Near East
- History 850: Graduate Seminar: US, Europe, and the MIddle East
- Modern Iran and Afghanistan
- Social history
- Military history
- Persia at War: Iran’s Struggle with Imperial Russia, London, I.B. Tauris, 2018 (Forthcoming)
- Ta’amolati piramun-e tarikh-e shureshiyan-e armankhah dar Iran. [Perspectives on the History of Rebels with a Cause in Iran], Tehran: Akhtaran publishers, 2006
- Rebels with a Cause: The Failure of the Left in Iran. London, New York: I.B. Tauris, 1999.
- “Revisiting the Second Russo-Iranian War (1826-1828): Causes and Perceptions,” in Iranian Studies, Elena Andreeva and Maziar Behrooz, ed., May 2013.
- “From Confidence to Apprehension: Early Iranian Interaction with Russia,” in Iran and Russia, Stephanie Cronin, ed., (Routledge, 2012).
- "Maryam Firuz," Encyclopedia Iranica, (New York, Syracuse University Press, 2012).
- “Iran after Revolution,” in The Oxford Handbook of Iranian History, Touraj Daryaee, ed., (Oxford University Press, 2012).
- "The 1953 Coup in Iran and the Legacy of the Tudeh," in, Mark Gasiorowski and Malcolm Byrne, eds., Mohammad Mosaddeq and the 1953 Coup in Iran, (New York: Syracuse University Press, 2004).
- "Iranian Revolution and the Legacy of the Guerrilla Movement," in Stephanie Cronin, ed. Reformers and Revolutionaries in Modern Iran: New Perspectives on The Iranian Left (London: Routledge Curzon, 2004).
- “Golesorkhi,” Encyclopedia Iranica, Vol. XI, (New York: Bibliotheca Persica Press, 2002), 118-119.
- "Tudeh Factionalism and the 1953 Coup in Iran," in International Journal of Middle East.